Morning, people of Philadelphia! Dan Casarella here with a fresh issue of the Philadelphia Daily.
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Philadelphia? Our premium local sponsorships will keep you at the top of inboxes around town every morning. Contact us here for the lowdown.
First, today's weather:
Partly cloudy throughout the day. High: 78 Low: 64.
Here are the top stories today in Philadelphia:
Will Smith is returning to Philadelphia this fall to kick off his long-anticipated book tour.
The West Philly native will host "An Evening of Stories with Friends," at The Met Philadelphia on Nov. 8, where he will reflect on his childhood in Philadelphia and his career so far. All tickets to the show will come with a copy of his new book "Will," a memoir set to release Nov. 9, through a partnership with Black-owned bookstores Harriett's Bookshop and Uncle Bobbie's Coffee and Books. (PhillyVoice.com)
- Pennsylvania State Rep. Kevin Boyle (D-Philadelphia) was arrested and charged with harassment and violation of a protection from abuse order filed by his wife. The representative was taken into custody by 15th District officers on Friday afternoon and released Saturday morning on his own recognizance. Boyle is scheduled for a mental health evaluation in agreement with the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office and reportedly intends to follow through with any and all court, medical, and mental health recommendations. (NBC 10 Philadelphia)
- A double shooting in South Philadelphia has left one man dead and another critically injured. The shooting happened in the 2300 block of Jackson St. around 9:28 p.m on Saturday night. The Philadelphia Police Department reported that one victim was shot seven times in his upper body, leaving him in critical condition. The other victim was shot four times and pronounced dead at the hospital. (CBS Philly)
- The Philadelphia City Council announced on Friday it will consider a ranked-choice voting system in the city. A ranked-voting system would allow voters to select candidates in order of preference (e.g., first choice, second choice, third choice), rather than just choosing their top candidate. Those in support of the ranked-voting system believe ranking the choices is fairer and more accurately reflects what voters want. New York City recently imposed the voting system for its June primary election, making it the largest stage to test the new format that advocates say is a better system. (PhillyVoice.com)
- This week, Cobbs Creek Parkway will have intermittent lane closures for the completion of a safety improvement project. Construction will occur between Church Ln. and Spruce St. for line striping and delineator installation. Additional closures will occur across Chester and Bucks counties as part of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's project to improve travel and reduce high-speed crashes across the five-county Philadelphia region. (MyChesCo)
Today in Philadelphia:
- World Tourism Day Photo Contest 2021 - Office of Arts, Culture and the Creative Economy (8:00 AM)
- Human Relations Commission - Lansdowne Borough (6:30 PM)
Philadelphia Patch Notebook
- Philadelphia Museum of Art: "NOW OPEN: "Authentic: Truth and Perception in Chinese Art" explores the act of copying from the Chinese artistic perspective. Learn how attitudes toward authenticity are nuanced and culturally specific." (Instagram)
- Free Library of Philadelphia: "Improve your reading skills while reading and discussing interesting books with the Adult Literacy Book Club, presented by the Free Library's Languages and Learning Center and Beyond Literacy." (Facebook)
- Philly LGBT Police Liaison Committee: "Philly landlords: Want to learn how you can partner with local refugee resettlement agencies to provide affordable, sustainable housing to refugees resettled in Philadelphia?" (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Valerie Morrison - Psychic Medium — Private Psychic Readings by Telephone or at my Office (Visit website)
- Bucks County Ancestry Fair (October 2)
- Camden County Pop-Up Library @ Book Fest (October 2)
- 9/11 Heroes 5K Run (October 2)
- New York Comedian Elyse DeLucci LIVE! at SoulJoels Comedy Club (October 10)
- Add your event
- Dining room chairs (Details)
Gigs & services:
- 100 New Affiliate Marketers Needed Immediately (Details)
Thanks for following along and staying informed! I'll see you soon. If you're into these newsletters, consider bringing some friends and neighbors on board. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Dan Casarella
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Philadelphia Daily? Reach out anytime to [email protected].
Your content is great. However, if any of the content contained herein violates any rights of yours, including those of copyright, please contact us immediately by e-mail at media[@]kissrpr.com.