For holiday travel, 61% of trips are planned to take place in an owned or a rented vehicle compared to 31% via airplane
St. Louis, Missouri--(Newsfile Corp. - November 16, 2023) - As the weather cools down, holiday travel is heating up, and the majority of travelers are hitting the road.
A recent survey conducted by Enterprise Mobility found that 56% of Americans surveyed are planning at least one overnight trip, 50+ miles away from home between November 2023 and January 2024, with 61% of those trips to take place in an owned or rented vehicle this holiday season.
- 48% of trips are planned to take place in a personal vehicle, just over one in ten (11%) are anticipated to be a rental vehicle and 2% plan to utilize a rideshare service.
- Just over a quarter (28%) plan to use loyalty points toward booking travel, and a third of those plan to use their points toward a rental vehicle.
- When taking a holiday road trip, the majority of Americans (90%) enjoy listening to at least some holiday music.
"The great American road trip is alive and well, and we are seeing strong demand at both our neighborhood and airport locations and an increase in holiday travel bookings compared to last year," said Will Withington, Senior Vice President of North American Operations at Enterprise Mobility.
Americans who are traveling are planning an average of two trips this season, with Christmas being the most popular holiday for travel (66%), followed by Thanksgiving (49%).
Of all holiday trips planned in the U.S., more than half are to visit friends and family (58%) but almost one quarter (23%) are purely for leisure, a vacation getaway without visiting friends or family. And December is the busiest month for travel over the holiday season, with 46% of all travel days happening in this month (departures and returns). In addition:
- Nearly half (46%) of trips are less than 200 miles from home and slightly more than half (54%) are 200 or more miles away.
- The top three domestic destinations this year are warmer states, including California, Florida and Texas, although New York ranks 4th place.
- While only 7% of planned trips are international, the most popular destination among Americans is Mexico, followed by Canada, Australia, the Dominican Republic and Greece.
Generationally, Millennials (age 27-42) are the most likely to have travel plans this holiday season (62%) while Generation Z (age 18-26) is the least likely (43%), and 53% of both Generation X (43-58) and Baby Boomers (59+) are planning to travel this holiday season. Of all the trips planned this season, Gen Z is least likely to have a trip planned to visit friends and family (47%) but most likely to have a vacation getaway planned, not visiting friends or family (27%).
For more information about Enterprise Mobility, visit enterprisemobility.com.
* This survey was commissioned by Enterprise Mobility and conducted in Oct. 2023. Sample includes responses from 1,802 U.S. residents ages 18-70 sourced from the Enterprise Exchange Research Community and Qualtrics panel, of whom 1,000 respondents plan to travel for at least one night or longer to a destination more than 50 miles away from home between November 2023 and January 2024.
According to an Enterprise Mobility survey, 61% of Americans who are traveling this holiday season will be taking a road trip.
To view an enhanced version of this graphic, please visit:
# # #
About Enterprise Mobility
Enterprise Mobility is a leading provider of mobility solutions including car rental, fleet management, flexible vehicle hire, carsharing, vanpooling, truck rental, luxury rental, retail car sales and vehicle subscription, as well as other transportation technology services and solutions, to make travel easier and more convenient for customers. Enterprise Mobility, inclusive of its subsidiaries and franchisees, and affiliate, Enterprise Fleet Management, manage a diverse fleet of 2.3 million vehicles through an integrated network of nearly 9,500 fully staffed neighborhood and airport rental locations in more than 90 countries and territories. Privately held by the Taylor family of St. Louis, Enterprise Mobility manages the Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental and Alamo brands.
For more information, contact:
Mike Wilmering, Enterprise Mobility
To view the source version of this press release, please visit https://www.newsfilecorp.com/release/187668